"So Chris, where have you been since the last time we talked?"
"Oh no where really, JUST THE BORDER OF IRAN!!!"
Yes folks, I now write to you from the far east point of Iraq where we are now training border police. Since I last wrote to you we have moved two more times. I have given up trying to get really comfortable anywhere I go since it seems like a couple of weeks later we are off to a new base. From what we have heard we will be staying here the for the remainder of our tour. I don't know how it happened but our moves have been continuously bringing us to worse and worse conditions.
This supposed "last stop" on our tour of Iraq has brought us to a wasteland literally on the border of Iraq and Iran.......and it is COLD. Well not really all that cold but living in tents with very little heating will make you rethink exactly what is "cold". I am happy to say that I am now fully comfortable sleeping inside a sleeping bag with all my clothes and a fleece jacket. Showers are limited to one every four days or so due to water shortages out here in no-man's-land. At least they have decent internet and a couple of phones.
These last six weeks or so will be having us helping out the border police who's job it is to look through binoculars at an Iranian border fort about two hundred meters away. In case you were wondering, it is an open border so there is no fence of any kind. Smuggling has been a large problem but they don't see too much of it around here. The "approximate" border, I feel very comfortable with that by the way, is paralleled by a road that brings us to all of the border forts. They told us in our initial briefing that "you may see on your GPS that you go into Iran, just stay on the road and you shouldn't have too much trouble, the border sort of floats left and right," ahhh life in Iraq....or should I say Iran depending on the road.
Well not too much longer here and the guys are more upbeat now that we can sort of see the light at the end of the tunnel. I will try and get some pictures online but no promises. Thank you for all the packages everyone has sent while I have been here but with time winding down I ask that no more are sent (did I really just say that?). Seriously though it takes mail a lot longer to get out here where we are and with the holiday season going on it only adds to the delay. I hope everyone is doing well and that you all have a happy holiday season. I'm off to hit golf balls over the border, wish me well.
Wednesday, 17 December 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
you had no comments, it was sad. i didn't want you to feel like a loser. :)
Can't wait till your home Chris!!! Not too much longer now, we miss you!
Post a Comment